- Born 1954, Zanzibar, Tanzania.
- Studied Theatre Design at Wimbledon College of Art, 1976.
- Studied MA Cultural History, Royal College of Art, 1984.
- Himid is Professor of Contemporary Art at the University of Central Lancashire.
- Himid has long been associated with the UK Black Arts Movement, and as a painter, writer and curator has participated at an international level in exhibitions, conferences, books and films on the visual art of the Black Diaspora since the early 1980s.
- During the past 30 years Himid has exhibited widely both in Britain and internationally, with solo shows including Tate St. Ives; Transmission, Glasgow; Chisenhale, London; Peg Alston, New York and St. Jorgens Museum in Bergen. Himid represented Britain at the 5th Havana Biennale and has shown work at the Studio Museum in New York, Track 17 in Los Angeles, the Fine Art Academy in Vienna and the Grazer Kunstverein.
- Himid’s work can be found in public collections including Tate, Victoria & Albert Museum, The Whitworth Art Gallery, Arts Council England, Manchester Art Gallery, The International Slavery Museum in Liverpool, The Walker Art Gallery, Birmingham City Art Gallery, Bolton Art Gallery, New Hall Cambridge and the Harris Museum and Art Gallery, Preston.
- Himid was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List in 2010.
- 2011 Tailor Striker Singer Dandy Platt Hall, Manchester Museums
- 2010 Jelly Mould Pavilion Sudley House Liverpool and Liverpool Museums
- 2008 Kangas and Other Stories Peg Alston Gallery New York
- 2007 Talking On Corners Speaking In Tongues Harris Museum &Art Gallery Preston
- 2007 Swallow Hard Judges Lodgings Lancaster
- 2006 Swallow Judges Lodgings Lancaster 2004 Naming The Money Hatton Gallery Newcastle.
- 2001 Double Life Bolton Museum & Art Gallery.
- 2001 Inside The Invisible St. Jorgens Museum Bergen Norway
- 1999 Plan B Tate St Ives.
- 1999 Zanzibar Oriel Mostyn Llandudno.
- 1997 Venetian Maps Harris Museum & Art Gallery Preston.
- 1996 Portraits & Heroes Peg Alston Gallery, New York. 1995 Beach House Wrexham Arts Centre & Tour 1994 Vernets Studio 5 th Havana Bienniale Cuba
- 1994 Vernets Studio Transmission Gallery Glasgow.
- 1993 African Gardens Black Art Gallery London.
- 1992 Revenge Rochdale Art Gallery + South Bank Centre London
- 1989 The Ballad of the Wing Chisenhale Gallery London
- 1987 New Robes for MaShulan Rochdale Art Gallery
- 1986 A Fashionable Marriage Pentonville Gallery London.